(Jan. 5, 2021) — Ahead of today’s Senate runoff elections in Georgia, IMPACT, the leading Indian American advocacy group and political action committee, has invested $2.5 million into the state to help boost Asian-American turnout. The resources were used for digital ads, mail pieces, and grassroots organizing.
Last month, IMPACT conducted the most comprehensive poll of AAPI voters in Georgia this special election cycle that identified important voter preferences and demographics. The poll showed overwhelming AAPI support and enthusiasm for Democratic Senate candidates.
“In a race that will decide control of the U.S. Senate, Asian American voters are poised to be the tipping point in determining the outcome,” Neil Makhija, Executive Director of IMPACT, said. “AAPI voters – and South Asians in particular – are flexing our newfound political muscle to advance equality and opportunity for all.”
Ahead of the general election in November, IMPACT invested a groundbreaking $10 million in targeting AAPI voters in states such as Pennsylvania and Arizona, the largest-ever effort to target South Asian voters.
- This year, Georgia saw a 91 percent increase in AAPI voter turnout over 2016, and exit polls showed Asian American voters preferred Joe Biden to President Trump by a 2 to 1 margin.
- This growth in turnout compared to 2016 far exceeded all other racial and ethnic groups: white turnout increased 16 percent, black turnout increased 20 percent, and Latinx turnout increased by 72 percent.
- An additional 42,000 AAPI voters voted in 2020 over 2016 and more than 30,000 AAPI voters voted for the first time ever. Biden won Georgia by just over 14,000 votes.
- Asian American voters saw the highest increase in turnout among any demographic.
- Asian Americans are the fastest-growing demographic in Georgia (and nationally), and Indian Americans are the largest Asian American group in Georgia.
- While the general eligible voting population in Georgia grew 9% between 2012 and 2018, the Indian American voting population grew by 231%.
- There are an estimated 238,000 eligible AAPI voters in Georgia, and a population of over 150,000 being Indian Americans